1. Who is telling the story?
2. Is it someone outside the events of the story or is it one of the characters?
3. Does the narrator tell the character’s thoughts?
4. What tense is the story told in?
5. Is it in the first person, using I?
6. Who is your major character(s)?
7. Who is your minor character(s)?
8. Consider their behavior, how are they are described?
9. What do they say?
10. Do your characters stay the same or change?
11. Is your story a comedy, a tragedy, science fiction or maybe a life lesson?
12. Do the events in your story connect together?
13. What are some of the conflicts?
14. Is the reader given clues?
15. What will happen next?
16. Is your story chronological?
17. Does it skip around?
18. How does it compare to others of its type?
19. Does the story leave the reader satisfied, yet wanting more?
20. Are you satisfied?
Bonus Question: What are your 20 questions for writing your story?