Beginning

Welcome to my blog, thank you for stopping by. If this is your first time to my blog, it's nice to meet you. If you've been here before, welcome back.

My writing journey has begun. The road will have some bumps and detours. I only hope that the first hill is not too high, and the journey is long.














Monday, August 1, 2011

Books With Cookies And Milk (10)

For the month of August, I am going to do something a little bit different.  I am going to post a daily Books With Cookies And Milk.  Everyday, I will post at least one new book.  They will be a mixture of genres.  I have read so many wonderful books and have a supply of more wonderful books to read.  I'd like to share them with you.  Of course, with each of these posts I will post a cookie recipe.  Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

A Kiss Goodbye
Kiss Goodbye, Audrey Penn, Hardcover
written by:  Audrey Penn
Illlustrated by:  Barbara Leonard Gibson
Published by:  Tanglewood Press, LLC

     Chester Racoon is not happy about having to move.  His Mother wants him to look at the move as if it was an adventure, but Chester has not had much success with adventures.  Chester didn't want to leave his tree.  Follow along while Chester moves to his new home and finds a new friend.  Moving isn't so bad after all!

The Kissing Hand
The Kissing Hand, Audrey Penn, Hardcover
Written by:  Audrey Penn
Illustrated by:  Ruth E. Harper and Nancy M. Leak
Published by:  Tanglewood Press, LLC

     Chester Racoon didn't want to go to school.  He wanted to stay home and play with his friends.  His Mother told him the story of The Kissing Hand to help comfort him through his worries.  Chester finds reassurance and knows he is loved, and Chester loves back.

Chester Racoon And The Big Bad Bully
Chester Raccoon and the Big Bad Bully, Audrey Penn, Hardcover
Written by:  Audrey Penn
Illustrated by:  Barbara L. Gibson
Published by:  Tanglewood Press, LLC

     Chester and his friends learn how to deal with a bully.  With togetherness and showing no fear they win the bully over and have him join in their game playing and find a new friend. 

     These stories are heartwarming tales.  The would be a comfort to any child in a scary situation, a move or starting school.  Audrey Penn tells the magic of The Kissing Hand in each one of these stories.  Each of the illustrators have done such a great job with the detail on each of the pages.

Mocha Logs

Ingredients:
1 cup butter
1 egg
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teasboon baking powder
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate pieces, melted and cooled
4 teaspoons instant espresso coffee powder
1 1/2 cups finely chopped pecans

Directions:

     In a medium bowl beat, butter with an electric mixer for 30 seconds.  Add sugar and coffee until combined.  Beat in egg and vanilla.  Beat in flour.

     Using a star plate in a cookie press, squeeze out 3" long strips onto ungreased cookie sheets.  Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes.  Transfer to wire racks. 

     Dip ends of cookies into melted chocolate.  Sprinkle nuts over chocolate.

Makes about 72 cookies.

Don't Forget The Milk!
Enjoy!

     I love these Chester Racoon stories.  I'll have another posting about Chester later this month.  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These books look great! Love the recipe, too.

Anonymous said...

My nephew has one of the Chester Racoon books. I am sure he would love the other two. I haven't figured out how to become a follower. I did click to receive emails of updates. I am always looking for new children's books for gifts.

Cynthia Chapman Willis said...

I love this idea for blogging. What fun! These Chester Racoon books look adorable and the recipe looks delicious. Thanks for both!

Maeve Frazier said...

I am really having fun with this Books With Cookies And Milk. I am glad you are all enjoying it, too.