Beginning

Welcome to my blog, thank you for stopping by. If this is your first time to my blog, it's nice to meet you. If you've been here before, welcome back.

My writing journey has begun. The road will have some bumps and detours. I only hope that the first hill is not too high, and the journey is long.














Saturday, August 6, 2011

Books With Cookies And Milk (15)

The Clearing
By:  Anne Riley

     "The Clearing" is so amazingly written - it is a must read for both the young adult and adult.  You can feel the energy in this book right from the start.  This novel is full of suspense.  The characters are well thought out with strong voices.  There are two central characters in this story, Natalie who is bullied and humiliated by others had her boarding school, and Liam who is full of mystery. 

     The clearing is an area in the woods, near the school.  It holds mysteries from three hundred years past.  The story pulls the reader in, allowing them to visualize the clearing and the stories it holds.  Liam helps Natalie travel to the "other side".  Read as Natalie must face the truth about her past and her struggle to save her future. 

     I have been fortunate enough to have an autographed copy of Anne Riley's, "The Clearing".  Even if I wasn't given this wonderful story, I would have bought it for myself.  Anne is truly a gifted writer.  I highly recommend this novel.

     Anne, thank you for this wonderful gift!

Rocky Road Cookie-Bars
(no bake - makes 40)

Ingredients:

1 bag chocolate chips
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 cups salted peanuts
1 package miniature marshmallows.

Directions:

     In a heavy saucepan, over low heat melt chocolate chips with condensed milk and butter.  Remove from heat to cool lightly.  Set aside.

     In a large bowl combine peanuts and marshmallows, fold into chocolate mixture.

     Ina 13"x9" pan lined with waxed paper, spread mixture evenly.  Chill for 2 hours or until firm.

     Remove, peel of wax paper and cut into squares.

Don't Forget The Milk!
Enjoy!

    

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have not heard of this book! It sounds interesting. Thanks for the tip! - Karen

Anne Riley said...

Thank you Maeve! I am so glad you enjoyed it!

Maeve Frazier said...

Anne - I am sure MANY others will, too! It is a great book.

Anonymous said...

ccokies sound yummy and The Clearing sounds like an interesting read, though is the bullying part upsetting?

Doralynn Kennedy said...

This sounds like a good book. Thanks for the recommendation... and thanks for another great recipe. I love to cook... well, for the most part. I do it all the time, and sometimes I really do need a break from it!!

Stacy S. Jensen said...

I never know which to consider first when I read these posts — the books or the cookies. Thanks for another great recommendation.

Maeve Frazier said...

Madeleine - for me the bullying part is such a part of Natalie's character. The story is so well written, I think you would like it.

Maeve Frazier said...

Doralynn - I hope you get to enjoy the book. P.S. I love to cook, too!

Stacy - Thanks! I am enjoying sharing.