Beginning

Welcome to my blog, thank you for stopping by. If this is your first time to my blog, it's nice to meet you. If you've been here before, welcome back.

My writing journey has begun. The road will have some bumps and detours. I only hope that the first hill is not too high, and the journey is long.














Sunday, August 14, 2011

Books With Cookies And Milk (23)

American Dream: The New World, Colonial Times, and Hints of Revolution



Written by: Colleen L. Reece, Norma Jean Lutz, Susan Martins Miller

     Maybe, I am partial to this book being a descendant from The Mayflower, myself. I am a descendant of Myles Standish, John Alden and Priscilla Mullins. Myles Standish’s son married John Alden and Priscilla (Mullins) Alden’s daughter. The stories in this book are historical fiction. There are many famous names worked into the stories. The children in these stories may be fiction but the other people are real.

Sarah’s New World: The Mayflower Adventure by Colleen L. Reece

John and his sister, Sarah are ready for their voyage from Holland to go to the New World, America. Soon it is discovered that the ship that they are traveling on is not seaworthy and they are moved onto the Mayflower. On board there are food shortages and sea sickness. Follow the adventures of John and Sarah as they travel to the New World.

Rebekah in Danger: Peril At Plymouth Colony by Colleen L. Reece

     Rebekah is eleven and traveling on board the Mayflower to the New World. Rebekah, along with the other children see many hardships, sickness and even death. It is not an easy life they lead, they work hard to build their new life in the New World.

Maggie’s Dare: The Great Awakening by Norma Jean Lutz

     Maggie is thirteen and she is not sure how she feels about the slaves her friends own. Maggie sees and learns the difference between peer pressure and doing what is right as she follows her heart.

Lizzie and the Redcoat: Stirrings of Revolution in the American Colonies by Susan Martins Miller

     Lizzie lives in Boston at a time before the Revolutionary War. She shows compassion beyond her years for a British soldier when he is injured. Lizzie must decide where she stands. Can she see past the hatred others have for the redcoats and help this British Soldier?

     You will be transported back in time while reading the stories told in this book.


Molasses Cookies
(While researching my family tree, I discovered that Molasses Cookies were a favorite among the Mayflower voyagers.  )
(This recipe has a special ingredient if you are making a batch for adults, this ingredient allowed the cookies to be kept in barrels on board the ship for a long period of time and still remained moist and delicious, - so, I have read.)

Ingredients:

1 cup shortening
3/4 cups water
2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 tablespoon salt
7 cups flour
2 cups dark molasses
1 teaspoon cloves
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon ginger
For Adults: 1/4 cup rum/For Children: ¼ cup water

     Cream shortening and sugar until light. Dissolve salt in water and mix with rum (water). Add baking soda to molasses. Sift flour with spices. Add liquid ingredients alternately with flour mixture to creamed mixture. Stir well between additions. Dough should be sticky. Chill overnight. In the morning, flour board and rolling pin. Roll dough 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with cutter (each cookie should be the size of the inside of a coffee cup.) Bake in 375 degree oven from 10 to 12 minutes.

Don’t Forget The Milk!

Enjoy!





5 comments:

Doralynn Kennedy said...

Family histories are so fascinating. What interesting ancestors you have! I'm not familiar with these books. When I was about 12, I read a book about the underground railroad. I loved that book. I wish I knew the name of it. I would really like to read it again.

I just wanted to stop by and wish you a happy vacation. I'm so honored you're going to read Sleeping With Skeletons! I hope you enjoy. I'd love your feedback someday.

Doralynn

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Oh, I do like the sound of this book (and the cookies)

Anonymous said...

Doralynn - I remember reading a book about the underground railroad, too. Now you have my curiosity peaked. I'll have to check it out.

After reading your blog and getting to know you, I am more intrigued to read Sleeping With Skeletons, than ever! Thanks for wanting my feedback. If it is consistent with your writings in your blog, you already have my interest.

Maeve Frazier said...

Doralynn - the post prior to this is from me. It kept going to Anonymous. - Maeve

Maeve Frazier said...

Lynda - I hope you enjoy the book and the cookies!