Beginning

Welcome to my blog, thank you for stopping by. If this is your first time to my blog, it's nice to meet you. If you've been here before, welcome back.

My writing journey has begun. The road will have some bumps and detours. I only hope that the first hill is not too high, and the journey is long.














Thursday, August 18, 2011

Books With Cookies And Milk (27)

The Mystery of the Blue Ring
(The Polk Street Mysteries)

Written by:  Patricia Reilly Giff
Illustrated by:  Blanche Sims

        Second grader, Dawn Bosco wants to be a detective.  She puts her skills to the test when her former best friend, Emily loses her birthday ring with the blue stone.  Some of the kids in the class think that Dawn is a suspect and might have taken the ring.  Dawn is determined to solve the mystery of the missing ring and clear her name.  Intially she thinks she discovered who might have taken the ring, but discovers it is the wrong ring because Emily's ring had a crack in it and this one did not.  Will Dawn find the missing ring and get her best friend back?

Orange Lunch Box Cookies

Ingredients:

¾ cup butter
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup chopped walnuts
¼ cup sugar

Directions:

1. Cream margarine or butter, add brown sugar gradually. Add unbeaten egg, grated orange rind and vanilla. Beat well.
2. Add flour sifted with baking powder and salt. Mix well. Chill dough until firm.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
4. Mix granulated sugar and nuts. Roll dough into small balls the size of walnuts. Flatten on greased cookie tin and sprinkle with sugar and nut mixture. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool on racks.

Don’t Forget The Milk!
Enjoy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maeve - another good one! - Karen

Dawn Simon said...

The book sounds fun, and the cookies...mmm. I'm going to snatch that recipe! Thanks!

Maeve Frazier said...

Dawn - they are both good! Enjoy!

Stacy S. Jensen said...

This recipe reminds me of cookies my mom used to make. I'll add both to my list to try.

Maeve Frazier said...

Karen - I am loving doing the Books With Cookies And Milk!

Stacy - My mom used to make these cookies, too! I hope you enjoy!