Beginning

Welcome to my blog, thank you for stopping by. If this is your first time to my blog, it's nice to meet you. If you've been here before, welcome back.

My writing journey has begun. The road will have some bumps and detours. I only hope that the first hill is not too high, and the journey is long.














Thursday, October 13, 2011

Your Last Line

     Just thinking...

     Have you ever thought of what you would like your epitaph to be.  If we were to write our own, it would be considered the last line of our own story.  How many of you have read the sayings written on the headstones in a Cemetery?  There are some sayings that could only have meaning to the one it is intended for, or for a loved one only.  There are some that are told in verse.  Some have none at all.

     My Mom's epitaph says, "A Lovely Woman", so fitting for her, but I don't know if I could live up to that title.  I wondered to myself what mine could be.  I always think that I am a work in progress, changing and reshaping, literally, the older I get.  So, here is a potential one for me:

"Construction Completed!"
(Thanks for your patience.)

     What do you think?  Has anyone else given this any thought?  What would your last line be?

     Note:  I know this post seems a little morbid, but it is Halloween this month!

13 comments:

Cynthia DiFilippo Elomaa said...

Not morbid, I like posts that make me think. I like your line.My mother's is the Serenty Poem. I haven't thought of one for myself, and I do agree we are all a work in progress. I'd have to think about it.

Joanne said...

No, I can't say that I have thought of it much. I guess I'd want it to say...a great mom and wife. ....and extremely funny too! And a great artist,and and great writer, and a great.....
At this rate my tombstone would be 10 feet tall! Maybe I should just stick with a great mom and wife. ;0)
Blessings, Joanne

Abby Fowers said...

LOL! I like that. That would suit me too. I haven't thought much about it, but I would want it to be something like what you have. I wish I could live up to the "lovely woman" thing, but people would laugh. It's just not me. Would suite my grandma thought. I'm going to have to think on this.

Emily R. King said...

I don't know what I'd write on mine, but yours is hilarious. Thanks for the laugh!

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

I don't know what I'd write on mine either. How about "Good to the last drop" ? :)

Patricia T. said...

Funny you should think of this now, as I was teasing my husband about what I'd put on his epitah --"The Squirrels Won." He's been battling them for years in our yard.

I would hope that mine would read "Peacemaker." That has been the focus of much of my life work -- both inner and outer.

Patricia

Abby Fowers said...

I got the package! Thank you so much! What a wonderful giveaway! I am already enjoying it all. And the extra bonus journal rocks! *hugs!*

Tara Tyler said...

please dont let it be, "she died trying"
i'd love it to be, "you knew her well"
another reason i want to get my book out there...before i die!

Maeve Frazier said...

Cynthia - I love the Serenity Poem.

Joanne - Nothing wrong with being a great Wife and Mom. That tells me you have a happy life.

Abby - LOL! I actually saw that sign on my way up to Maine and I thought, hmmm - that is definitely me. I thought it would be a fun post. I'm glad you like the give-a-way!

Patricia - "The Squirrels Won" is funny! Love "Peacemaker".

Tara - Love it! I'm with you. I need to get cracking on getting published, but it is sooo hard!!!

Unknown said...

I haven't given mine any thought but yours is so funny. I love it. :)

Anne Mackle said...

I have just finished reading the story of your mum and I can't quite see the computer keys for the tears running down my face.I have just became a gran for the first time and I'm so sorry your mum didn't make it but I'm sure she is with you all the time and her granddaughter. As for an epitaph, Yours is really good, for mine I think," She loved and is loved" At least I hope I am!!!!

Maeve Frazier said...

Shirley - Always good to have a sense of humor right to the end. :)

Cassam (Anne) Thank you for finding my blog and stopping by and for you kind words. I like your epitaph, too!

Lily Whalen said...

I've been giving this a lot of thought since I read your post, Maeve. I'm still not sure what my last line would be, though. "God was finished with her", based on the phrase "God isn't finished with me yet"? Just kidding - I wouldn't like that one.

I like Cassam's "She loved and is loved"; I'd thought about that one, too. Or, how about "She walked the talk"? The only thing I'd hope is that it's true!

Great question, especially for Halloween month! I might even piggyback on it on my own blog :)